SAYS DUTCH NOT BEHIND UPRISING IN TRANSVAAL

Recent Arrival From Capetown Explains Causes of South African Revolution--Says Public Opinion is Behind Government Action

New light was thrown on the present troubles in South Africa yesterday by a student from that country, now in the University, who gave a CRIMSON reporter a full explanation of the causes of the Rand revolution. This information, coming as it does from a native of South Africa who has only recently arrived from the scene of these disorders, serves to clear up several misconceptions of the situation--notably that concerning Dutch participation in the revolution.

Dutch Rally to Crown Forces

"The Dutch or Nationalist party is not, it is true, allied with the government, but in the present crisis the Dutch population has rallied most loyally to the crown forces and is exerting every effort to suppress the disorders in the Transvaal. One convincing proof of this fact lies in the ranks of the miners themselves. Contrary to popular opinion, the vast majority of the white laborers in the mines are of British descent--only a very small percentage are Dutch--and it is this division, composed of English, Scotch, and Irish workers, that is causing the difficulty.

"Again, the farming element is united in its support of the government in its attempts to quell disorders, and practically all the farmers are of Dutch descent. The Dutch nationals are essentially peace-loving, and though in no way connected with the governmental faction, invariably rally to its support when law and order is at stake.

"The Rand revolution started as a result of an acute economic situation, caused by the grades of ore being mined. Gold depreciated in value, and the quality of ore kept getting lower and lower until the mine owners, perceiving the drift of events, set about making attempts to improve the situation. This they did by outting down many of the privileges of the white laborers in the mines, who heretofore had enjoyed certain liberties and immunities over their black fellow-workers. The former immediately expostulated, but without effect, and the struggle broke out. The white miners, however, were largely influenced by radical and labor union agitators, and it was largely owing to the efforts of these men that the troubles have reached their present height.

"In spite of the complicated situation, General Smuts, the South African premier, has been doing everything in his power to bring matters to a peaceful conclusion. In its work along this line, however, the government has refrained from taking sides. Acting wisely and impartially it has already reached a basis for arbitration, and is doing its utmost to bring about an agreement between the miners and mine-owners.

"Another point worthy of note is the attitude of the majority towards the present situation. With few exceptions the people of South Africa are standing firmly behind their government, and General Smuts has the vast majority of public opinion on his side.

"Some few believe that the Rand miners are attempting to set up a republic. This is far from the case at present. They did attempt a break on February 5, but the Dutch party in the National Parliament refused to back their declaration of liberty and the movement failed to materialize. The recent disorders are an entirely new phase of the situation, and the strikers now have no intention of setting up a republic.

"The government is sufficiently strong to handle the outbreak. The chief aim of the authorities is to quell the disorders without unnecessary force."