THREE CHAMPIONS RETAIN TITLES IN BOXING MATCHES

R. LeB. Daggett '23 Repeats 1921 Performance in Winning From G. R. McLeod uL. in 145-Pound Class

Three champions retained their laurels and three new boxers were crowned champions before a crowd of 500 enthusiasts last night in the annual University boxing tournament at the Hemenway Gymnasium.

F. X. Collins '22 retained his title in the 115-pound class by defeating V. H. Kugel '25 in a slow bout decided by the judges, J. H. Glacken and J. M. Harmon.

H. J. Freedman '23, last year's champion in the 125-pound class, did not enter the tournament. Harry Brenner '23 won the championship easily by terrific hitting to the head resulting in a technical knockout over G. G. Tunell Jr. 4E.S. after one minute of fighting.

C. P. Hulbert 1G. met W. H. Lewis Jr. '22 in the finals of the 135-pound class. The latter was clearly tired from his semi-final bout with M. A. Kugel '22 which went four rounds with severe and fast boxing. Lewis showed his ability to take punishment and yet come back by winning the third round and forcing Hulbert to the limit before the latter gained the decision after an extra round.

R. Le B. Daggett '23 repeated his victory of last year when he stopped G. R. McLeod uL. in the first minute of the second round in what was easily the best bout of the evening. The excitement was intense when Daggett took a count of seven in the first round, getting up only to drive home two blows which sent McLeod to the mat in succession, the gong finally saving him. The third round was slow until the knock-out blow which declared Daggett again the champion.

Theodore Strong Jr. '22 retained his title in the 158-pound class with difficulty H. L. Hartley '23 used his superior height to advantage, frequently forcing Strong's guard down. The hard fighting was mostly at close range, Strong getting the decision after three rounds.

Howard Townsend Jr. '23 was clearly no match for Edward Eagan 1L. in the heavyweight class. The referee stopped the match after Townsend had taken one minute of bad punishment about the head.

In the semi-final bouts at the opening of the evening V. H. Kugel '25 won from B. H. McCurdy E.S. in the 115-pound class, Harry Brenner '23 won from G. G. Tunell Jr. 4E.S. in the 125-pound class, and C. P. Hulbert 1G. won from F. J. Exline '24, and C. R. McLeod uL from A. D. Hoffman '25 in the 135-pound class.

The officials were as follows: referee, Coach Lawrence Conley; judges J. H. Glacken and J. M. Harmon; announcer, J. O. Stubbs; timer, Fred Wood. Bouts: three 2-minute rounds. NEW BOXING CHAMPIONS 115 Pounds  F. X. Collins '22 125 Pounds  Harry Brenner '23 135 Pounds  C. P. Hulbert 1G. 145 Pounds  R. LeB. Daggett '23 158 Pounds  Theodore Strong '22 Heavyweight  Edward Eagan 1L