OUR TACTLESS PRESS

The proposed expedition of scientists into the wilds of Patagonia to secure--"dead or alive"--the much-talked-of Plesiosaurus, the reported living relic of the--mesozoic age, has met with unexpected difficulties: the Argentine Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has taken a firm stand against any such desiccation of natural wonders. This stand has astonished not a few of our great American dailies which have been prone to ridicule it as the result of superabundant Latin sympathy for the feelings of the "saurus", who--having since before tertiary times led a life of untrammeled prehistoric ease--is now about to be thrust among the contaminations of modern civilization. "After all" says editorial opinion, "why should the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals concern itself with the Plesiosaurus who--as his name implies--is an 'Almost-Lizzard'? May we not expect ere-long to be confronted with a Society for the Preservation of American Hop-toads, with chapters in all the public schools?"

In judging such a question it is a common error for Americans to neglect to put themselves in the position of those they criticise. We, for example, cannot imagine any one regarding a lizzard as a common "animal" any more than we expect to find monkeys infesting the trees in Central Park. We therefore jump to the conclusion: As a matter of fact, the Argentines have the very best reasons for regarding the lizzard as worthy of protection. No doubt the latter is as familiar a sight down there as the common cat is in this country. It is to say the least, unmannerly to scoff at the actions of our South American neighbors. The American Press should be very careful as to how it brings into ridicule the customs and traditions of a foreign people. It is a point much more worthy of discussion as to whether the animal seen is really a mesozoic Plesiosaurus or, as some scientists feel sure, a mere glyptodon.