A NEW SUIT FOR THE LAW SCHOOL

Dean Pound's annual report, made public recently points out how greatly the Law School has outgrown its present accommodations. The pressure of increased enrollments, felt in all departments of the University, is particularly acute in the Law School and no effective remedy is immediately at hand. Approximately a thousand students are enrolled in the school and, as Dean Pound makes clear, sections meeting now are larger than the whole classes for which the lecture rooms were planned. Under such circumstances, the school has come to a parting of the ways. It is not possible to continue much longer under present conditions and only two alternatives present themselves as a solution. By arbitrary limitation of numbers it would be possible to keep within the present quarters; or by farther building the need for such limitation would be obviated.

The first alternative would be about as satisfactory as trying to keep a growing boy in the same suit of clothes by somehow stunting his growth. The influence of the Law School is nation-wide now largely because of its national character. The number of colleges represented in the student body is 180 as opposed to 155 three years ago and 83 twenty years ago. To limit the enrollment would result in the exclusion of some students who would prove able lawyers and valuable to the school as alumni. Any restriction on numbers could not help narrowing the school's influence by limiting the field from which it draws, thereby detracting very much from its national character. The only reasonable solution would seem to be in further building, either in the completion of Langdell Hall as originally planned, as soon as possible or in the addition of a new building to the group Only in this way will it be possible for the Law School to maintain the high position it herds today.