EDITORIAL

Seniors are no longer subject to the rule requiring that they pass four courses; it is announced today that the Administrative Board may, according to a recent vote of the Faculty, allow exceptions at its discretion. The Faculty will without doubt have the gratitude of the student body. The praise of those who hope to see a liberal education made more easily available, and the American ideals of such an education raised, will be unstinted. Harvard, it is generally admitted, and we believe justly so, is ahead of all other American institutions in imposing a minimum of restrictions on the man who wishes to obtain an education which will be of value to him in his leisure time of later life. By this latest action, the Faculty has made greater than ever the opportunity of the student who knows how to use his time to good advantage.

The success of this innovation depends very much upon the attitude of the student body. There are undergraduates who will surely try to abuse the privilege; the Faculty is not ignorant of this. The fact that it believes there are enough men who really will benefit by the new ruling to make it worth while ought to arouse some reaction. If there is not a stimution of interest in matters intellectual, the Faculty will be slow to introduce further liberties. It has been proved time and again that the undergraduate community at large does very little current reading. It probably does very little of any kind outside of courses; here is an opportunity to delve into the realm of books, of art, of music, of drama--to obtain an acquaintanceship with that most fascinating of all worlds, the world of the mind.

That the Faculty believes it is important to allow time for gaining a knowledge of this world ought to emphasize its value. It would be a fine thing if the tradition should grow up that Seniors shall devote most of their time to reading and other non-material pursuits, so as to reap the mental recreation earned by their three years of more concentrated study. With the tutorial system already firmly established in one department, with the general divisional examination for all but scientific degrees, with a judicious regulation of the stringency of concentration and distribution requirements, and, finally, this added freedom given to Seniors who deserve the privilege, education at the University is assuming a far less commercial tinge. The Faculty has shown its willingness to do its part; the undergraduate has opened to him a newer and finer opportunity for obtaining a truly liberal education.