TENNIS PLANS CALL FOR EARLY START NEXT WEEK

University and Freshman Practice Depends on Weather Conditions--Five Veterans Back as Nucleus for Team--Yearling Prospects Bright

With five letter men to form a nucleus besides the material from last year's winning Freshman team, and with more than the usual number of experienced players in the 1925 class, prospects of a successful season appear bright both for the University and the yearling tennis teams.

Under Coach R. N. Williams 2nd '16 the University tennis men have been practicing on the Longwood covered courts in preparation for the seven matches of the southern trip to be taken during the spring recess.

Of these Captain Morris Duane '23, R. N. Bradley '22, J. C. Guild '23, J. D. Farnham '23 and C. P. Holmes '22 are letter men, D. McK, Key '22 was a member of last year's squad, and K.S. Pfaffman '24 captained the 1924 team last season. No attempt has been made to rank the players, Coach Williams stressing the practice of form above all else.

W. W. Ingraham '25 is the outstanding player among the Freshmen. Ingraham, who stands thirteenth in the New England rankings, won the Harvard interscholastic tournament last spring and was runner-up in the National Junior Championship of 1920.

Other promising Freshman players are Alden Briggs, F. G. Akers and J. P. Duncan, captains last year of Brookline. St. Marks, and Groton respectively. W. P. Dixon, a member of the Eton School team, and J. M. Greelay, who played number four on the Exeter team, are also expected to show up well when practice begins.

As soon as the University courts are in condition, there will be a series of test matches to determine the University team which will make the southern trip. The Freshman squad will not be formed until after the players have had a chance to get into condition for the test matches.