BALL TEAM HAS THINGS ITS OWN WAY AGAINST COLBY, WINNING 20-0

RUSSELL HOLDS MAINE NINE TO FIVE HITS

Knocking out 23 hits to a ragged fielding combination the University baseball team easily defeated the Colby nine by a score of 20-0 at Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon. After a dull start the Crimson batters found the ball, and slowly increasing the pressure on the visiting pitcher, piled up 15 runs and forced him from the mound. But at this point the Colby fielders fell down and a series of errors gave the University nine a chance to make the most of several hits. The Crimson fielding, however, was flawless and this together with steady battery work kept the visitors from the home plate.

The opening inning was the brightest spot for Colby and for a time it seemed as if they would score the first tally. Haines, the first hitter, drover out a clean single and was advanced to second on a walk. Later he got to third on a sacrifice hit, but air-tight fielding prevented him from scoring.

It was in the third inning that the University players started their long series of runs. Lincoln was the first to come home. Having gotten on by a hit he was sent around the bases by a fielder's choice and a hit by Conlon. It was in the next inning, however, that the first rally was staged. With the bases full, the Colby pitcher walked Hallock, so forcing Murphy home, and a moment later Russell got to first while Jenkins was being tagged out at home. Janin and Hallock each scored and Russell quickly followed on a hit by Lincoln.

The next inning was featured by a remarkable volley in which the Crimson batters made nine hits out of ten times at bat, scoring seven runs before the Colby fielders could stop the rally. In the sixth the University nine added three more counts to its score when Jenkins got a neat single followed by two doubles by Hallock and Russell.

But here the Colby infielders tightened up and quickly disposed of the first three batters in the seventh. This success, however, did not last and the final inning brought in five more runs as a result of several errors, three singles and a two-base hit.

Harvard  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Lincoln, 3b.,  6  2  4  2  4  0Gordon, r.f.,  4  0  1  1  0  0Rogers, r.f.  2  1  0  1  0  0Conlon, s.a.  6  1  4  0  4  0Owen, 1b.,  4  1  1  11  0  0Murphy, c.,  2  1  1  3  0  0Larrabee, c.,  2  0  1  1  0  0Jenkins, 2b.,  4  3  3  3  1  0Janin, l.f.,  4  3  1  1  0  0Thayer, l.f.,  1  1  1  0  0  0Hallock, c.f.,  3  3  2  0  0  0Clark, c.f.,  0  1  0  0  0  0Russell, p.,  5  3  4  1  1  0Total.  43  20  23  24  10  0Colby  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Haines, l.f.,  3  0  1  3  0  0Anderson, l.f.,  1  0  0  0  0  0Williams, c.f.,  4  0  1  3  0  1Lampher, c.,  3  0  1  5  8  0Rurckel, 1b.,  2  0  0  2  1  0Royal, 3b.,  3  0  1  5  1  2Wilson, r.f.,  3  0  0  1  0  0Fransen, 2b.,  2  0  0  4  3  0Niles, s.s.,  2  0  0  0  0  0Huhn, s.s.,  1  0  0  1  1  3Porter, p.,  2  0  0  0  2  0Weymouth, p.  1  0  1  0  0  0Total.  27  0  5  24  16  6Innings.  1 2  3 4  5 6  7  8 9Harvard.  0 0  1 4  7 0  3  0 5  2