SEVENTEEN OARSMEN ARE RETAINED BY DR. HOWE ON UNIVERSITY SQUAD

DEFINITE SEATING OF CREWS DUE THIS WEEK

As a result of last week's work Dr. Howe was able to reduce the University crew squad, retaining as a result of the final cut two regular eights, an extra stroke, and three extra coxswains; the extra men will be retained until the April Recess. During the next few days Dr. Howe and the coaches will concentrate on picking a first and second eight for the Pennsylvania race, which is less than four weeks distant. A definite arrangement of the two crews will be announced probably by Thursday.

Yesterday the men were given a long work-out, which took them down as far as the Union Boat Club. There were frequent shifts after each of which the two crews paddled and then raced for short distances. All of this was intended to serve as a criterion in judging the candidates for the various positions. Especially important, judged from the work of the afternoon, is the question of the final selections for 7; 4, and 2. A. L. Hobson Jr. '24 and H. H. Fuller Jr. '23 alternated at 7, while H. S. Morgan '23, N. C. Webb '23, J. D. Jameson '24, and Standish Bradford '24 were tried out at 4 and 2, positions for which there seems to be a large amount of material of almost equal calibre.

The two crews after their final shift were seated as follows:

Crew A.--Bow, G. M. Appleton '22; 2, N. C. Webb '23; 3, B. MoK. Henry '24; 4, B. S. Morgan '23; 5, C. J. Hubbard Jr. '24; 6, R. C. Storey Jr. '24; 7, H. H. Fuller Jr. '23; Stroke, Walter Amory '24; cox., S. C. Habber '23.

Crew B. - Bow, C. H. Hollister Jr. '24; 2, J. R. Hoover '24; 3, J. A. Nickerson '22; 4, Standish Bradford '24; 5, D. S. Holder '24; 6, J. D. Jameson '24; 7, A. L. Hobson Jr. '24; stroke, S. N. Brown '24; cox., B. H. Burnham '24.

Dr. Howe made it clear in regard to these crews, however, that they in, no way represent a final selection. The extra men that have been retained are E. S. Matthews '23 at stroke and W. W. Wood '24, E. N. Carson '24 and Graham Veale '24 as coxswains.

As a result of this final out there has been an entire regrading of all the class crews