LAW SCHOOL SOCIETY

During the week preceding the opening of the Law School on September 26th the Law School Society cooperated with the Information Bureau, maintained at Phillips Brooks House, in finding rooms for new students.

In order that the purposes and activities of the Society might be known to new Law School students a pamphlet was printed in June, and during the summer was sent to prospective students through the courtesy of the Secretary of the Law School, and at the commencement of the school year was distributed at the Phillips Brooks House.

Early in the fall a financial canvass was made of students in the Law School by means of a circular letter, with the result the $387 was collected. This makes the Society self-supporting.

The campaign for contributions to the Loan Library which was conducted in June secured about forty more books. As several of the courses are using new case books the usable number has not increased. On the opening day of school the demand for books was far greater than the supply, Each applicant was cut down to an allowance of three books, but even then many secured more. The need on more books is apparent.

The reception for the incoming class was held on Monday evening, October 3rd. The speakers of the evening were Acting Dean Edward H. Warren, Professor Joseph H. Beale, Professor Calvert Magruder, Mr. Bertram F. Willcox, Chairman of the Society and President of the Law Review, Mr. George A. Brownell, President of the Legal Aid Society, and Thomas Penney, Jr., Secretary of the Law School Society. Refreshments were served. About 450 men attended.

The Sunday evening meetings have been held every second or third week throughout the year. From eighty to four hundred and fifty men have attended each meeting. The opening meeting was addressed by Mr. Edmund K. Whitman of Boston, whose subject was. "Legal Reminiscences." At the first meeting in November Judge Charles A. DeCourcy of the Supreme Judical Court of Massachusetts spoke on "1. Some Practical Suggestions on Argument Before the Full Court. 2. The Alleged 'Law's Delay'; Its Extent and Remedy." The second November meeting was addressed by Mr., William K. Richardson of Boston, on the subject of "The Preparation and Use of Evidence." On the last Wednesday evening in November the Society held a reception in honor of a guest of the faculty of the Law School, Mr. John Bassett Moore, who is the American chosen to be a member of the World Court of the League of Nations. At this reception Professor Sayre spoke on "Arbitration in History" and Mr. Moore spoke on "World Courts." In December Mr. George W. Wicker-sham of New York addressed the Society on "Some Practical Considerations in the Practice of the Law." Through the courtesy of the faculty the January meeting was addressed by another of its guests, Sir John W. Salmond, the author of several works on legal subjects, and the representative of New Zealand at the Limitation of Armaments Conference. His subject was "The Washington Conference." In February Mr. Fred T. Field of Boston spoke on "The Preparation, Trial, and Argument of Jury Cases." In March Dr. C. Macfie Campbell, director of the Boston Psychopathic Hospital, addressed the meeting on "The Analysis of Personality in Court Cases." Mr. John Lowell of Boston spoke to the Society in April on "The Increased Requirements for Admission to the Bar from the Ethical Point of View and What our Local Bar Association can do to Bring about this Result."

The Legal Aid Bureau, which is the social service medium of the students of the Law School, has had a year of increased activity under the leadership of President George A. Brownell. The Bureau has continued to send fifteen men to the Boston Legal Aid Society to aid in its work, in addition to the twenty men who handle the cases which come to the Cambridge office. The office of the Bureau had to be moved from the Prospect Union because of the closing of that organization. Through the courtesy of the directors and officers of the Cambridge Welfare Union the Bureau has this year shared a room in the offices of that organization, just across the street from the Prospect Union in Central Square. The arrangement has proved very advantageous to the Bureau. Increased supervision of counsel by the directors has promoted efficiency. Two hundred and thirty-two cases were handled by the Cambridge office, in addition to the cases handled by the fifteen men attached to the Boston Legal Aid Society. A full report of the Bureau's work is to be published this summer.  THOMAS-PENNEY, JR., 3L Secretar