PLAN IMPROVEMENT ON SOLDIERS FIELD

Twenty-Five Acres in Northwestern Part of Field to be Made Suitable for Athletic Purposes

The Harvard Athletic Association will spend $100,000 in improvements on Soldiers Field this spring and summer according to plans given out yesterday by Mr. Fred W. Moore '93, Graduate Treasurer of the Association.

The ground inside the new running track will be drained and filled to prepare it for use as a gridiron next fall. The plans also call for the building of a line of new tennis courts just on the north of the row of birches which extends along the northern side of the tends along the northern side of the new running track. The exact number of courts to be built has not yet been determined.

Twenty-five acres of the swamp land in the north-western part of Soldiers Field will be reclaimed by drainage and filling to make it suitable for athletic purposes.

These improvements are peculiarly expensive due to the nature of the ground. It will be necessary to lay draining tile in several feet of cinders surmounted by a heavy layer of dirt and clay before the ground will be in shape.

"We have been somewhat upset and delayed in this work." said Mr. Moore yesterday, "by the use of the cinders which we had accumulated on Soldiers Field, by the University in grading the ground, for the military stables and paddocks. During the winter we have been replacing these whenever we were able, and work on the new football field will be started as soon as the ground can be prepared."

The work will be pushed during the summer so that the new football field and reclaimed ground may possibly be ready for use next fall. It is planned to complete the tennis courts for play next spring.