TEACHERS' ASSOCIATION HOLDS ANNUAL MEETING

Over one Hundred Attend Morning Session in Sanders Theatre--Elect Officers for Next Year--Discuss Educational and Administrative Problems

With well over 100 persons present at the morning session in Sanders Theatre, and 60 at the dinner in the Union, the Harvard Teachers' Association held its annual meeting on Saturday, to discuss the subject, "Educational Foundations, and the Administration of Educational Endowment". The forenoon session started with a business meeting at which officers were elected for the ensuing year.

The subject chosen for the speeches of the morning session in Sanders Theatre was "The Aims and Work of the Great Educational Foundations". The first speaker was Dr. Wallace Buttrick, president of the general Education Board. He was followed by Dr. Clyde First secretary of the Carnegle Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, who declared that "Endowed philanthropies have peculiar opportunities in the United States, since our governmental agencies, as compared with those of Europe, leave many more matters of public welfare to individual effort".

At 1 o'clock, in the Union, the Association held its annual dinner, at which Professor H. W. Holmes '03, Dean of the Graduate School of Education, acted as toastmaster. Professor Henry Pennypacker '88, chairman of the Committee on Admission, spoke first. He was followed by Dr. L. H. Murlin, President of Boston University, who spoke on the need for endowments. Professor E. E. Day '09, chairman of the Department of Economics at the University, the last speaker, closed the meeting with a discussion of the cost of the tutorial system.