1925 DOWNS MIDDLESEX 8-1

Freshman Baseball Team Has Easy Time With Concord Schoolboys--Spalding Pitches Four-Hit Game

The 1925 baseball team easily defeated the Middlesex nine by the score of 8-1 at Concord yesterday afternoon. Though the schoolboys opened the scoring in the first inning on a series of Freshman errors, the yearlings had little difficulty in gaining the lead in the second and increasing it steadily after the fourth. Spalding pitched a steady game allowing only four hits, but at times his support fell down momentarily and put the Middlesex men in a scoring position.

Doherty Starts Yearling Rally

The real Freshman rally was begun in the fourth inning when Doherty got a single. A sacrifice hit and two more singles brought in two runs. The rally was carried over into the fifth when three more hits nicely grouped brought in another pair of runs. At this point the schoolboys made a one-inning stand which broke in the seventh when Vocke came home on a sacrifice hit by Burgess.

The last two runs were scored in the eighth. Hammond, who was hit by a pitched ball, came home on Samborski's double, while the latter got to the plato on an error by the catcher.

The line-ups follow:

Harvard 1925.--Burgess, l.f.,; Toulmin, 8b.; Hammond, 2b.; Samborald, c.; Doherty, c.f.; Vocke, 1b.; Hodder, r.f.; Mann, s.s.; Spalding, p.

Middlesex.--Knowiton, 2b.; Upton, 1b.; Howard, s.s.; Pollard, c.f.; Allen, l.f.; Slayton, 3b.; Thompson, c.; Balley, r.f.; Barnum, Pabst, Cortland, o.