CRIMSON TENNIS TEAM HOLDS BROWN SCORELESS

Visitors Weakened by Loss of Captain J. D. E. Jones in Singles--Pfaffman Gives Exhibition of Well-Rounded Tennis--Score 6-0

The University tennis team experienced little difficulty in defeating Brown on the Divinity courts yesterday afternoon without the loss of a match. The visitors were undoubtedly weakened by the loss of Captain J. D. E. Jones in the singles. Jones, who is also a high-jumper, was kept out because it was felt that he could not do justice to both tennis and track teams and that playing in both singles and doubles matches would have an unfortunate effect on his jumping in the New England Intercollegiate meet tomorrow afternoon.

The University team failed to give an exhibition of the sterling playing that had been anticipated from early season performances. Pfaffman was the outstanding exception and in defeating Fellman, 6-1, 6-0, he gave an exhibition of effective, well-rounded tennis. Guild, too, played well and while his scores were not one-sided, it must be said that Bennett, his opponent, appeared to be the best of the visiting singles players.

Throughout the matches this year the Crimson has had its greatest weakness in the lack of a strong second doubles team. During the past few days, Captain Duane has been experimenting with various combinations of his players and yesterday in Guild and Holmes, he seems to have found the best team. These two letter-men, in defeating Dana and Thorndike, 6-2, 6-4, gave evidence of team-work as well as of effective and individual playing.

The first doubles match failed to produce the exciting and brilliant rallies which had been expected from a quartet including Jones, Duane and Pfaffman. The Brown team failed to live up to expectations and though the contest was close the playing was mediocre.

The summary:

Singles.--Duane (H) defeated Thorndike (B), 6-0, 7-5; Pfaffman (H) defeated Fellman (B), 6-1, 6-0; Guild (H) defeated Bennett (B), 6-3, 8-6; Bradley (H) defeated Dana (B), 6-1, 6-1.

Doubles.--Duane and Pfaffman (H) defeated Jones and Bennett (B), 7-5, 8-6; Guild and Holmes (H) defeated Dana and Thorndike (B), 6-2, 6-4.

Final score: Harvard 6, Brown 0.