PHILIPPINES NOT READY FOR INDEPENDENCE SAYS BISHOP

Bishop Brent Believes Difficulties Are Not Social but Economic--Japanese Seek Commercial Supremacy

"The Philippine Islands are not yet ready for independence, in spite of the widespread desire for it among the natives," said Bishop Charles Henry Brent, former bishop of the Islands. "The principal cause for this condition, however, is not racial, but economic, for the whites and the natives live in perfect harmony. At present the entire revenue of the Islands is devoted to constructive work. If, however, they received independence, the cost of an army and navy would have to be supported by the natives. This very heavy expense is at present met by the United States government.

"As far as education is concerned the Philippines are progressing fast. Seven hundred thousand children out of a total population of ten million attend schools in the Islands."

When questioned about the Japanese problem Bishop Brent said: "The Japanese now in the Islands number only about 5000. They do not like the tropical climate, and, unlike the Chinese, do not adapt themselves readily to unaccustomed conditions. Commercial supremacy, however, is their greatest desire, and doubtless they would like to seize the Islands, if the Americans withdrew. The well-known prowess of the natives in guerilla fighting would make such a conquest very difficult even if unhindered by the intervention of another power. Nevertheless, if independence were granted, it would be necessary to insure it by an international agreement. Otherwise they would be quickly snapped up by some outside power."