"FROM BAD TO HEARST"

It must have been a distinct and powerful shock to one of Mr. William Randolph Hearst's retiring nature to have the Mayor of New York come out publicly, as he did yesterday morning, in one of his characteristic, straight-from-the-shoulder talks to the people;--advocating Mr. Hearst for Governor. Mr. Hylan was not reserved in his praise, and no doubt Mr. Hearst's ears burned to learn "that if the people want to govern the state themselves a man should be nominated for Governor,--regardless of his being Democrat or Republican,--who stands for the principles of the people, for which Mr. Hearst has stood for many years."

Mr. Hearst himself has retired to his home in California to get away from all this sordid business of politics. In fact he has just telegraphed to the expectant public, through the medium of the Brooklyn "Eagle": "I am a rancher enjoying life on the high hills overlooking the broad Pacific. If you want to talk about Herefords I will talk to you,--but not politics. I have no ambition to get into politics unless there be some special reason, and I don't see any special reason."

This most maidenly coyness of the part of Mr. Hearst may perhaps be attributed to the fact that just before he left for the West, eight upstate Democratic leaders called upon him,--at his request. Their unanimous report, so the word goes, was that Mr. Hearst was not popular with the voters, and that with him as candidate they could not promise to deliver even the normal Democratic vote. In fact, the Hearst-for Governor balloon has been so flat since it was inaugurated last February,--in the formation of the "Political Union for Progress" by three of Mr. Hearst's employees, acting under his instructions,--that until Mayor Hylan's recent inflation, it has been almost indistinguishable.

However, Mr. Hearst's warm friends and admirers have assured him that he is the man of the hour and that he can count on them to create an issue if necessary to make him popular. Thus reassured, the "people's choice" has retired, to avoid influencing anybody in any way. This natural shrinking from publicity is strangely reminiscent of that memorial of his generosity--the vast Greek stadium given to a university in California. On the inside of this, in letters of green three feet high, it is said, is the inscription: "Given by William Randolph Hearst.