NAVY AND TIGERS TO ARRIVE TODAY

Rain Hinders University Boats in Practice--Crimson Crew to Use Davy Shell in Race

With the powerful Princeton and Navy crews arriving in Boston this morning work for the triangular regatta will assume its final stage. All three of the contesting eights are expected to row over the course today, but practice is not likely to be very hard with the race only one day off.

Followers of rowing agree that the University will face tomorrow two of the country's strongest eights, crews which are sure to go to the starting line with odds in their favor and expecting to fight out the lead between themselves. But the feeling has been growing during the past week that the Crimson will give either or both of its rival a real race before it is willing to concede victory to the Blue or the Orange and Black; some critics have been free to say, in fact, that after Princeton and Annapolis have rowed each other out down in the Basin, the University crew will stand a good chance to slip by as a final winner.

The feature of the work yesterday was the definite announcement that Jameson would fill the seat at 4 on Saturday in place of Ladd. The former is one of the most promising oarsmen on the squad and gets a tremendous wall of water before his oar on each stroke. He rowed last year on the Freshman crew in its race with M. I. T. and on the combination crew at New London.

Yesterday's work-out was marred by the severe rainstorm which swept across the river and made a lengthy row inadvisable. Several racing starts were tried, however, and individual men were given coaching on particular parts of their form. Practice as a whole was in the nature of a general finishing off process, since the coaches feel that the crew has had sufficient racing experience and needs now merely rest and the final touches of preparation.

The University eight, it was announced yesterday, will be boated in the Davy shell, used by the seconds against Penn, for the race on Saturday. It is a new boat this year and carries the weight of the heavy Crimson crew without any sousing down at the bow.