DONATION TO LOUVAIN LIBRARY AUTHORIZED

Student Council Approves University Contribution to Fund for Rebuilding Belgian Memorial--Several Manager ship Appointments Passed Upon.

Besides approving several manager ship appointments, the Student Council at its meeting last evening authorized a University contribution to the fund for rebuilding the Louvain Library. C. D. Whidden '23 was appointed chairman of the committee to take charge of the work. The council also approved the petition to grant a basketball letter to D. F. Egan '23.

The library of the University of Louvain, destroyed in 1914 by the Germans, is to be rebuilt by Americans, and 640 colleges and universities are taking an active interest in the work. The object of the contribution is not so much to obtain funds for the construction of the new building as to justify the symbolism involved. In order that the gift shall be truly representative of the students of American colleges and universities, a large proportion of their number must be included in the list of donors to be kept in a mammoth volume among the records of the new library.

The building, which will cost approximately one million dollars, will serve as a memorial to the Belgian and American dead of the World War. It was designed by Mr. Whitney Warren who also selected the site. Mr. Warren has spent a great deal of time in Europe, studying the architecture of various localities, and is an especial devotee of the art of the north Latin countries. The structure will be of Flemish Renaissance architecture and will embrace six members with a covered arcade. The main reading room of the library will have space for 2000 volumes and will accommodate approximately 200 readers.

The plans of the committee in charge of the University's contribution will be announced on Monday.

The approval of the petition of the members of the University basketball team to grant a letter to D. F. Egan '23 was referred to the Athletic Committee with the understanding that no precedent of granting insignia to men who do not take part in the Yale game would be established.

The appointment of Raoul Pantaleoni '24 as second assistant baseball manager and of J. D. Winans '24 as second assistant manager of the second baseball team was approved.