DEFEAT COMMERCE HIGH 4-3

Herrman Pitches Yearlings to Close Win--Burgess Clinches Game for 1925 in Tenth Inning

The Freshman nine nosed out the High School of Commerce team 4 to 3 in the tenth inning Saturday afternoon when an error and a single let in the winning score.

Herrmann, the yearling pitcher, was largely responsible for the victory. Striking out a dozen batters, he allowed but eight scattered hits and in his four trips to the plate drove out two doubles and a single.

The Freshmen started the scoring in the second inning when Burgess was passed, advanced to second on Gibb's sacrifice to first, and came home on a passed ball by the Commerce catcher. Hoffman scored in the third on a double, an error by the catcher, and Hammond's sacrifice, while Mann came home for the third yearling run in the following inning after singling, stealing second, and being knocked home on Herrmann's double. Burgess brought in the winning tally in the tenth after reaching first on an error by the short-stop, stealing second and third, and crossing the plate on Mann's timely single.

The visitors' three runs came in the third as the result of an error, a double, and a single.

The line-ups:

Freshmen.--Hodder 3b., Hoffman r.f., Hammond 2b., Samborski c., Burgess l.f., Gibb 1b., Austin c.f., Mann s.s., Herrmann p.

Commerce.--Levenson c.f., Winn l.f., McKeon r.f., Santosuosso c., Keenan 1b., Dempsey s.s., Crotty 3b., Norton 2b., Nolan p.