WHO'S WU?

"Tweedle-dum and Tweedle-dee

Agreed to have a battle,

For Tweedle-dum said Tweedle-dee

Had spoiled his nice new rattle."

With the true causes of war as dim and uncertain as in the famous duel of Lewis Carroll's, General Wu and General Chang marched forth, each fighting against the other for the unity of China. General Wu has won after a battle lasting several days, and controls Peking and the government; while Chang is fleeing northward, his troops scattered in all directions.

And still the civilized nations, turning from Genoa for a moment, ask "What next?" Washington critics have declared that Wu's victory is for the benefit of China; and the General's continued assurances that his sole aim is to put China's house in order give color to the belief. The President, Hsu Shih, is to remain in office until the end of his term; nor has Wu taken any steps toward entering Peking. His announced policy is only to call a constitutional convention uniting north and south China, and to put the Government on its feet.

About the position of the Canton Government there seems considerable, doubt. Dr. Sun-Yat-Sen entered into agreement with Chang, although he gave the latter no assistance, and the arrival of Cantonese troops too late to ward off the disaster is regarded by some as a case of "double crossing". In any event, Wu is very popular in the south. Sen's agreement with Chang was fiercely opposed by many Canton leaders, and now that Wu has won there seems a strong possibility of a really united China.

On the whole, the outlook is most encouraging, for the victor is the most liberal of the Chinese generals, far more educated and intelligent than Chang, and with definite plans for progressive reforms. His proposed constitutional assembly is to make the central government really representative and abolish the system of Tuchaus, or provincial governors, which, by arousing rivalry, is held largely responsible for the present struggle. Realizing apparently the ill-favor into which the mercenary private armies have fallen among the Chinese people, Wu is seeking the establishment of a truly peaceful and effective government. If his reforms succeed, China may yet set the more civilized nations an example in reconstruction.