"INS AND OUTS"

The outgoing Senior, it seems, has his full quota of troubles. Among the horrors and incremental difficulties of the last few weeks, which make Divisionals pale in comparison, there is one which he usually puts off until the very last moment--that of disposing of the odd assortment of tables, chairs, couches, and other equipment, necessary and unnecessary, which he has collected during his four years' stay.

What course must the Senior pursue in order to get rid of his household effects in the most efficient way? The natural impulse is to take them to the man for whom they seem to be logically intended--the second-hand furniture dealer. And this thought-would surely be uppermost in the minds of those who are leaving, were it not that Economics A had so forcibly impressed upon them the enormous advantage of doing away with the middleman. So another course suggests itself: let the departing Senior dispose of his furniture directly to the Sophomore-to-be, who in all likelihood is searching for the very articles the Senior is trying to get rid of. In May, 1921, Phillips Brooks House put up a bulletin board on which notices of furniture wanted or for sale could be posted. This year it has done the same thing, making it very much easier for students to get in touch with each other. Yet there are probably some who would prefer not to rely on what chance purchasers a posted notice of "Furniture For Sale" might attract: for them, there is another solution--let Harvard College be the purchaser.

About a month ago, members of the Senior class were sent notices stating that the College, through the Inspector's Office, was purchasing furniture for dormitory rooms, and was willing to buy from outgoing students such articles as beds, springs, mattresses, pillows, chiffoniers, tables, desks, bookshelves, and chairs. There are a number of other students in the University who are planning not to return next fall, to whom the notice applies equally well. Anyone who wants to dispose of furniture can telephone to Mr. Burke's office in Massachusetts hall and ask to have the articles valued. An appraiser will be sent to his room, and if the student agrees to the price set, the College will buy them. This means of disposing of college furniture seems to be the easiest and the most--satisfactory. For the simple reason that the University is not doing the purchasing as a money-making scheme, the prices paid are usually much fairer than any obtainable elsewhere.