PURPLE HAS EDGE IN RETURN GAME THIS AFTERNOON

Coach Barry's Men Have Been Defeated Only by Georgetown in Last Month--Horan or Tunney to Pitch

With but three defeats chalked up against each of them, the University and Holy Cross baseball teams will meet for the second time this year in a return game to be played at Worcester this afternoon at 3 o'clock. On May 10 the Crimson players went down to defeat after leading the Purple by one run until the ninth. Then a long drive by Gangreau together with an error tied the score, while the winning tally came in only a moment later when Leonard Dugan crossed the plate as a result of two hits in succession.

The game gave every indication that the teams were evenly matched and the records since that time have borne out this conclusion. Holy Cross has suffered one defeat since her victory over the Crimson, bowing for the second time to the undefeated Georgetown aggregation by the score of 8-3. Just before the game with the University the Worcester nine suffered a set-back at the hands of the Yale team in a 9-7, contest. Since that time, however, they have more than made up for the defeat by sending Yale to a 5-2 defeat after breaking a tie in the sixth with a series of long hits.

The Crimson has suffered two-setbacks since the initial contest with the Purple, bot defeats the result of poor playing. On May 15 Springfield nosed out the University by the score of 2-1, while Brown gained an 8-3 victory over Coach Slattery's men after taking advantage of poor Crimson work on the mound and in the field. The University made up for this, however, two days later and found little difficulty in scoring 11 runs on the Brunonians while holding them to four tallies.

Fourteen to one victories over Bowdoin and Springfield gives some idea of the recent showing of the Worcester nine: both these teams have had close contests with the Crimson. The former went down to a 2-1 defeat only after a hard struggle, while the latter defeated the Crimson. Penn State, Tufts, Seton Hall, Boston College and Providence are some of the other teams which have been defeated by Holy Cross, since the game in Cambridge on May 10.

It is not certain whom Coach Barry will start on the mound. Horan, who pitched a steady game in the first Crimson contest is the logical man for the position but according to the Holy Cross management there is a possibility that Tunney will start the contest. The Worcester infield has been worked into a smoothly functioning machine, and this together with their known ability at the bat makes the Purple's dangerous opponent for any team.