RECEIVE CHALLENGE FROM OXFORD UNION FOR DEBATE IN FALL

LIKELY TO ARGUE QUESTION OF INTERALLIED DEBTS

The University Debating Council yesterday announced that it was considering the feasibility of a debate with Oxford some time in the latter part of September this year. A challenge has been received from the Standing Committee of the Oxford Union Society for a debate on any subject of international importance suitable to the Council here, with the specific suggestion that the subject should be; "Resolved, that a general cancellation of Interallied War Debts in necessary to the establishment of World Peace". While there is no possibility of a team from the University going to England next fall there is a good chance that the Council will sanction the holding of a debate in Cambridge and that it will take place about September 25.

It was proposed by the English that the debate should be between one American and Two Englishmen on one team and two Americans and one Englishman on the other. The Oxford Union has also proposed that the decision be rendered in accordance with the English method, by vote, not of judges, but of all members of the audience.

While this is the first international debate contemplated by the University, the plan is not altogether new, Bates College having gone to England last year for a debate with Oxford. If the Oxford team does come to America next fall, as it seems quite likely to do, it will also hold a debate against Yale on a simliar subject and under much the same conditions that will govern the debate here.