"THOUGH FAINT, YET PURSUING!

"Harvard College. At Home, June 20, 1922, from 9 A. M. till 11 P. M.

With all the nervous preparation that precedes the youngest daughter's a debut, Harvard is decorating the house--stringing advantageous lanterns and fabricating white fountains in exciting places. The Yard is rapidly losing its staid respectability and assuming the artificial glamor which distant relatives and more distant story-writers expect of it. And the Seniors, most of whom have too much to do at present any way, are losing many valuable hours on tours of inspection, on discussing the whys and hows of the water system. The bandstand is as yet in too embryonic a state to attract attention.

All this literal painting and figurative powdering of the nose for the delectation of the Senior!--and he, poor man, in no condition to partake thereof, How could he? It is a physical impossibility to enjoy the lighter side of life, let alone such extrinsic things as Japanese lanterns and gala waterworks, when there is the dispensing of furniture to be thought of. Not to mention eagle-eyed bargaining for packing cases in unguessed-at basements, at least three "important" notices as day in the CRIMSON, five letters in every other mail--three of which are acceptances and two regrets to the 110 invitations sent out three weeks ago; acceptances mean tickets, but which tickets? pink, blue, red, white, striped, expensive, less so, or rain checks? And by the way, his uncle's class expects to picnic merrily in his rooms the day after the party and the furniture is required to vanish somehow before 9 A. M. And of course at a late hour comes an appeal from an unexpected friend of the family; she usually wants a nice quiet room near the Campus, not a boarding house; nor too expensive, where she can get her meals comfortably. The Juniors and the rest depart, "the tumult and the shouting die", the Senior is left alone in his glory and he dare not forget.