NOT ON THE CURRICULUM

Of the nine hundred odd people killed each year to keep up New York's daily average of three deaths a day in street accidents (not to be confused with the far more impressive averages of the Crime Wave), it is safe to say that very few were ever Harvard men. Four years of struggle spent in crossing and recrossing the "Square" and the "Avenue" have reaped their reward. However the University may succeed in educating along other lines, it is certain that in the art of traffic-dodging, the training given is supreme. Anyone emerging from Cambridge alive, with or without parchment letters after his name, is innured to any vehicular terrors that Broadway or Fifth Avenue may have to offer.

Yet once in a while there is a slip-up,--a case (now in the hospital) has come to our attention this week,--and the undergraduate searcher after truth is the sufferer. Possibly the ideal solution is a war memorial in the form of a foot-bridge or tunnel to the Yard. Until this is realized, it seems reasonable that the Cambridge traffic system should be brought comparatively up to date. Without interfering with traffic or much expeuse to those who watch over the city's interests, it would be possible to place four safety "islands" or zones along Masschusetts avenue between Dunster and Plympton streets. The benefit to collegians and all other pedestrians would be immediate and great.

At present, the system of traffic direction about the Square is in keeping with Cambridge's ancient Egyptian custom of getting along without curb-stones. Pedestrians are directed very much as the occasional herds of cattle are conducted, alive or dead; through the Square to the Watertown Abattoir. After all, as State Commissioner Goodwin points out, people on foot do not need any license to operate. And it would be humane for the city authorities to give them an equal chance with other traffic.