TENTATIVE PLANS FOR COLLEGE GOLF COURSE

Harvard Golf Association Takes Preliminary Steps for Its Construction in Inspecting Favorable Site--Scheme Receives Considerable Support

The Harvard Golf Association has taken preliminary steps in the construction of a course in the vicinity of West Cambridge within walking distance of the University. A leading golf association of New England has, for some time, been considering the feasibility of constructing a course for the use of members of the University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Boston University and now that the plan has been turned over to the Harvard Golf Association, this body will continue to lend its support. At present the club courses in the vicinity of Boston are so overcrowded that it is almost impossible for students here to play with any regularity.

Mr. F. W. Moore '93, graduate treasurer of the Athletic Association, pointed out this need of a links which students and members of the faculty may use, at a meeting of the Athletic Committee on Tuesday evening, at which the members of the Committee approved of the proposal and promised their unofficial support.

Inspected Site for Course

The first real steps were taken several days ago when officers of the Harvard Golf Association accompanied by Captain Baker of the team, inspected a site of several hundred acres suitable to the erection of a course. The land which possesses many natural hazards, can be cleared of trees and developed with comparative ease into a long nine or short 18-hole course. It will be surveyed this summer and definite plans completed by the opening of the fall term.

The chief difficulty lies in the appropriation of sufficient capital to finance the scheme. The present tentative plans call for an issue of bonds to cover the cost of construction and the devotion of fees and membership dues to the payment of the interest on these bonds. In the meantime, however, the Golf Association is anxious to have all players in the University cooperate by mailing their summer address to the CRIMSON in order that they may receive literature and other information on the subject