ALL OUT

Yesterday morning, at eleven o'clock, upwards of four hundred students were in the vicinity of Sever 11, all with the same object in mind, that of attending the first meeting of Comp, List. 12. Even when all Sophomores and Freshmen had filtered out upon request, over three hundred men remained.

It was to this chosen few that Professor Bliss Perry made the announcement that, due to the unexpected size of the course, almost twice the number anticipated, there was a shortage of books. He added that the "Coop" had been informed that probably a hundred and fifty textbooks would be needed; and that they, to be on the safe side, had ordered an even hundred. He concluded with the obvious observation that since there were not enough to go around, those who reached the "Coop" first would start the year with the advantage of a textbook. Then came the deluge.

Indidents like this have been repeated until the repetition becomes monotonous. Every year finds undergraduates without textbooks, and every year follows the weary cry of the "Coop"--"all out!" The Cooperative is a venerable institution and the official outfitters to the university; but as the only evidence to go by is circumstantial, and as all of that evidence points in the same direction, is amiss to suggest that the "Coop" take a few more risks in the stocking of their shelves with textbooks in general demand? Then the "plain citizen" whose specialty is not speed would cease to worry about missing out; the four deep, human jam at the counter would be less clamorous; and the lady at the cash register might pass a peaceful day.