PARSONS WILL MEET SCOTT CLUB FOR AMES LAW PRIZE

Judge C. M. Hough, Justice L. P. Snow and Judge Learned Hand Will Preside and Render the Decision

The finals of the Ames competition will take place tomorrow evening at 8 o'clock in Langdell Hall. The competing Law School Clubs which will argue are the Scott Club and the Parsons Club, The representatives of the former organization will be the counsel for the defendant, while the latter will be counsel for the plaintiff. R. P. Berle 3L. and H. F. Birnbaum 3L. will represent the Scott Club, while R. A. Bogle 3L. and J. M. Nicely 3L, will argue for the Parsons Club.

The case is one of contract law, in which the plaintiff, one Emil Borah, is suing one Nathaniel P. Banks et al. for debts. Bank et al. are members of a business or "Massachusetts" trust, which includes in its constitution some of the features of a partnership and some of those pertaining to a corporation. Borah, who has made a contract with the company, is suing the individual members of the trust for the money involved, and the point to be argued is whether he can collect from the individual members of the company. This case is of timely interest, as it is similar to several which have appeared in the Texas courts recently. To make it even more similar to these cases, the company has been designated as an oil company.

Is Climax of Three-Year Competition

This case, which is open for attendance to all men who are members of the University, is the climax of a three-year competition between the various clubs, or discussion groups, in the Law School. At the end of the first year, in which the clubs hold discussions among themselves, about 24 are picked to compete against one another during the second year, when the four with the best percentage of victories are chosen to take part in the semi-finals in the third year. The two winners of these semifinals then compete for the prize, which consists of a trophy for each of the winning students, as well as a cash prize varying in amount. This Ames Prize is considered the highest honor to be obtained in the Law School.

The justices who will preside over the mock trial which constitutes the test, and who will also decide the outcome, have been appointed, and are: The Honorable Charles Merrill Hough, United States Circuit Judge for the Second Circuit; the Honorable Leslie P. Snow, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of New Hampshire; and the Honorable Learned Hand '93, United States District Judge for the Southern District of New York State.