UNIVERSITY BASKETBALL TEAM LEAVES TODAY FOR AMHERST AND WILLIAMS

McLEISH NOT ABLE TO MAKE TRIP ON ACCOUNT OF INJURY

Amherst opens its basketball season against the University quintet on its home floor tonight. Coach Wachter yesterday gave the squad a light workout on the small court in the Hemenway gymnasium to accustom the team to the small courts which will be encountered both at Amherst and at Williams. This will be a disadvantage to the University five because of the lack of the size and weight that is essential on a small court.

Eight players, Coach Wachter and Manager Lincoln will make the trip this afternoon to Amherst. They leave Cambridge at 1.30 o'clock, reaching Amherst at 5.12.

McLeish will not be able to accompany the team because of an injury received during the Knox game last Tuesday. This loss will materially weaken the Crimson because his aggressiveness and fighting spirit has been of great help to the team. Samborski, captain of last year's Freshman quintet, will take his place at left guard. He plays a roving game and should strengthen the scoring power and four-man offensive of the University five. Captain Gordon will take McLeish's place at the foul line.

Last year Coach Wachter's men defeated Amherst 48-27.