A SAD DULL DAY

While the storm of prohibition, Ku Klux, and Europe has been raging, a quiet corner of the Valley of Kings has suddenly risen to prominence as the burial place of Tutankhamen, the only Pharaoh whose tomb has until recently remained undiscovered. The first reports two weeks ago promised a treasure surpassing all other archaeological discoveries in Egypt; and the wonders still continue although the inner chamber is still sealed and must remain so until the financier of the expedition, Lord Carnavon, reaches the scene of explorations, probably some time in February.

Never before has a royal tomb been discovered in such perfect condition. The early robbers carried away the loose gold but apparently little else, and before the day of the more serious and disastrous rifting Tutankhamen's grave was lost to sight and human knowledge as well. Indeed so complete was the disappearance that another tomb, that of Rameses VI was built above it; and the present find was largely good fortune perhaps granted by the Pharaohs themselves as a reward for persistence to Mr. Carter the discoverer.

The treasure already found includes a throne of state, the only one in existence, which proves by its exquisite workmanship that the craftsmen of that time were skilled as none have ever been since. The inlaid work on chairs, couches, coffers and even chariots was not crude or primitive but delicate and fine beyond belief.

The more recent discoveries show the completeness of the equipment which was buried with the Egyptian monarchs. Food of all sorts carefully packed, chests bearing the stamp of Tutankhamen as a god and containing vessels supposedly used in religious rites; even royal underwear, the first evidences of such garments among the Pharoahs has been discovered.

It is success such as this which encourages the archaeologists, and hold them to their labors for years and years. While the rest of the world continues arguing these enthusiasts excavate and study, scarcely touched by the course of events some thousands of miles away. It is they who in large measure furnish supplies of relies for tourists in "rubberneck wagons"; and these, doubtless, groan over the ignorant sightseers and their complete lack of appreciation. As a group such "scientists" will never be numerous but it will be a sad, dull day when there is no longer excavation to be done nor archaeologists to do it.