AID AND COMFORT

As their first college examinations approach, Freshmen and transfer students especially find themselves in varying degrees of curiosity or suspense. Those who fared none too well at the November hours have cause for alarm; those who scraped through with the conventional C--may be unaware that their position is almost as precarious. Many have no idea of how best to prepare for an examination: how to correlate the work of a course, to plan their reviewing, or to combine their lecture notes with their reading.

It is for just such men that the Phi Beta Kappa Tutoring Bureau has been organized. It offers a voluntary service of advice in studies to all who ask for it. Each applicant will be assigned to a member of the Society qualified to aid him in his particular difficulties, who will consult with him as often as seems desirable, suggest methods of study and planning of work, and point out the snags on which the student is likely to stumble in his preparation. This is not a service of actual tutoring in a special subject, but it includes the sort of assistance that a fellow-student is best fitted to give.

While the present plan makes no conflict with professional tutoring, it suggests a further development that might come to much good. The Committee states that when a student is found to be in need of detailed assistance in a course, he will be advised to consult some recommended tutor, who is paid for his services and consequently able to devote more time to the student's needs than could be asked of the Phi Beta Kappa volunteer. Such a system should eliminate much waste; at the same time it will serve as a guide for students who honestly need outside assistance in their work, but do not wish to resort to any of the doubtful organizations which make it their profession to put a man through an examination on a minimum of knowledge. Eventually, perhaps, the Phi Beta Kappa Bureau can establish itself as a clearing-house for recommended tutors and students who can profit by their services. By placing its stamp of approval on properly qualified tutors and their methods, it should eventually help to eliminate much of the "boot-leg" element in professional tutoring. The Phi Beta Kappa has been regarded chiefly as an honorary organization: in becoming usefully active as well, it will justify itself in the eyes of a few who are now inclined to scoff.