FRESHMEN SHOW PROMISE WITH SEASON STILL YOUNG

Hard Schedule Confronts 1926 Hockey Team--St. Paul's, Princeton and Yale Games in Last Week--Only Game So Far, a Victory Over M. I. T.

After their sweeping victory over the M. I. T. Freshmen last Saturday the 1926 hockey team held a practice session in the Arena yesterday in preparation for their game tomorrow with the Cambridge Latin School and the one on Saturday with Brookline High School. The game with the latter will be the first real, test for the Freshmen as Brookline is considered to have one of the best high school teams in Greater Boston. The Crimson players face this year one of the hardest schedules that a yearling sextet has ever had, in- as much as the Yale and Princeton games both come in the same week. On February 10, the Freshmen play St. Paul's at Concord, N. B; February 14, they meet Princeton, 1926, probably in the Arena, while on the 17th they journey to New Haven to play Yale, thus having their three hardest games in the last week. The Milton, St. Mark's, Andover, and Exeter games also promise to be severe tests.

Harding is Outstanding Player

So far this season, the Freshmen have shown very good form, in spite of lack of practice resulting from the poor ice. C. C. Harding at center has been the outstanding star of the team up to date. In addition to being a fast skater and clever dribbler, he is exceptionally strong defensively. N. S. Howe, a former St. Paul's player, has been a regular at left wing all season. He is a dependable man, skating well passing frequently, and excelling in checking back. Considered a week ago to be one of the weakest men on the team, Lincoln Davis Jr. has shown great improvement, standing out by his excellent playing in the M. I. T. game on Saturday. The whole forward line so far showed itself to be very fast and skillful, keeping relatively a straight line when it goes up and down the rink.

Defence Weaker Than Forward Line

Although the forwards are adapting themselves to the teamwork of the offence, the defence has not yet mastered the two-man defence system used here. L. W. Pratt, at left defence is the best natural skater on the team. He, however, does not yet understand the system of swinging back when the opposing line advances. Aggressively following the puck at all times, E. W. Martin, the former Andover captain, has been the best man on the Freshman defence.

At goal, the Freshmen have E. H. Bradford Jr., considered to be one of the best goals on a Freshman team in many years. Bradford has no particular weakness, being good on all shots. He, however, is bothered by his eyes and in the Arena is greatly hampered by the light.

The fundamental weakness of the '26 team is the lack of good substitute material. None of the substitutes can compare with the six regulars and the greatest problem that confronts Coach Angier in the next two weeks is the development of substitute material. Henry Parish 2d, at wing has shown much the most promising form while E. K. Nash has been the best among the defence substitutes