PROFESSOR KITTREDGE TO GIVE FIRST OF DOWSE LECTURE SERIES TONIGHT

4 OTHER SHAKSPERE TRAGEDIES TO COMPLETE SERIES

The first of a series of five lectures by Professor George Lyman Kittredge '82, Gurney Professor of English Literature in the University, is to be delivered at 8 o'clock this evening in Sanders Theatre on "Macbeth". The series which is entitled "The five tragedies of Shakspere" is provided for by the Dowse Institute, so that admission is free but by ticket. The tickets were obtainable last week at Phillips Brooks House, but the whole supply is now exhausted. However, those who have not tickets may possibly obtain admittance at 7.55 o'clock when the doors will be thrown open to the public and any unfilled seats may be occupied.

The Dowse Institute, established years ago by Thomas Dowse, expends a certain sum yearly to provide for a course of lectures of the highest literary or scientific character. Due to the Great War, however the fund during the past few years was given to charity, but now, with that emergency past, the trustees are perpetuating the custom with this series of lectures by Professor Kittredge. The tragedies will be analyzed from a critical point of view.

The dates and subjects of the remaining lectures which are all to be held at 8 o'clock in the evening at Sanders Theatre are as follows: Friday, Jan. 19.--Othello. Tuesday, Jan. 23.--Julius, Caesar. Friday, Jan. 26.--King Lear. Tuesday, Jan. 30.--Hamlet.