Lowell Lectures Begin Tonight

Dr. Michael I. Rostovtzeff, Professor in the University of Wisconsin, will begin a series of lectures today at 5 o'clock under the auspices of the Lowell Institute at Huntington Hall, Boylston street, Boston, on "The Social and Economic Development of the Roman Empire."

The special subjects of the eight lectures in this series are as follows:

January 23, "The Roman Republic and the Civil War"; January 25. "The Restoration of Conquests and the Early Roman Empire"; January 30. "The Enlightened Monarchy of the Second Century, A. D.;" February 1, "The Cities, Industry and Commerce"; February 6, "The Country, Agriculture and Landholding"; February 8, "The Crisis of the Third Century, A. D."; February 13. "The Restoration of Diocletian and the Reforms of Constantine. The Beginnings of the Byzantium Slave State": and February 15, "The Question of the Decline of Ancient Civilization".

Tickets may be secured free of charge, it has been announced, by applying by mail to the Curator of the Lowell Institute, 491 Boylston street, Boston, and enclosing a stamped, addressed envelope for each ticket desired.