BREAKING THE GRIPPE

The news of a basketball game cancelled because the entire visiting team, including the coaches and two substitutes are "down with the grippe" makes an interesting item in the columns of the paper but it also serves as a timely warning. In the forlorn interval between snow and rain when the weather cannot make up its mind what to do and finishes off a morning of October sunshine with an afternoon of December show ending in a February thaw, the daily Infirmary list approaches a ward notice of registered voters. According to statistics the weeks ahead are the lowest on the curve of average health, and the gentleman in the street-cars dragging the huge cod-fish over his back does a thriving business.

A gloomy outlook from any point of view. The undergraduate looks out from his window at the sky and the roofs and the slush,--all a dirty slate gray,--blows his nose and mutters: "Dab it, Cab-bridge is one town that God forgot!" But it is less trouble to go on sneezing and gargling than to go to the doctor's office at the outset. There the service costs nothing and a little properly directed attention can put an end to an embryo cold which is a personal discomfort and may be a public nuisance. With the storm-signals out on every side for an epidemic of grippe this precaution is more than an advantage; it is a duty.