HEIGHTENED INTEREST IN ATHLETICS SHOWN BY REPORT OF DEPARTMENT

DEPLORE LACK OF ADEQUATE SWIMMING FACILITIES

A detailed review of the University athletic program during the year 1921-22 forms the substance of Mr. W. H. Geer's report to President Lowell.

The Director of Physical Education describes the most important phases of Freshman sports and cites statistics showing the increase in athletic interest and the wider use made by students of the University's athletic facilities. A condensed text of the report follows:

"I have the honor to present the report of the Department of Physical Education for the academic year 1921-22.

"The policy of free election of exercise was continued during the past year. The following statistics show the number of men who elected the more important exercise activities: Fall Rowing  169 Tennis  124 Football  113 Handball  58 Swimming  55 Equitation  52 Track  45 Winter Skating and Hockey  229 Corrective Exer.  179 Squash  146 Boxing  90 Track  82 Basketball  80 Rowing  78 Equitation  57 Swimming  55 Spring Tennis  189 Rowing  186 Track  96 Swimming  56 Baseball  53 Equitation  33

"It is encouraging to note the popularity of rowing, tennis, squash and skating. These sports represent activities that an individual can use for his physical recreation, until late in life. Skating on the Charles River was added to the list of elective exercises during the winter season. A great many members of the class welcomed an opportunity to substitute skating for their indoor exercise whenever the ice was in good condition.

"Interdormitory competition was conducted in all sports where there were representative teams. The all-round athletic championship was won by Gore Hall in the fall, by Standish Hall in the winter, and by Smith Halls in the spring. The nine seasonal all-round athletic championships conducted since the freshman program was inaugurated in the fall of 1919 have been won as follows: Standish, 4; Smith, 3; Gore, 2.

"During the last three years there has been a marked increase in the number of men who wish to participate in some form of physical exercise. In the fall and spring the demand for tennis courts exceeds the present equipment. The facilities at the boat houses and Soldiers Field accommodate an ever-increasing number of students. Statistics give evidence that the Freshman program is having the desired result, namely, the formation of habits of regular exercise among the undergraduate students. It will probably be necessary to install additional lockers at the Hemenway Gymnasium and the Squash Courts during the coming year.

Lack of Swimming Facilities

"Swimming is generally recognized as one of the best forms of exercise. A survey of public swimming facilities would show that they are used to capacity during all seasons of the year. Swimming appeals to people of all ages. It is to be regretted that the University does not have satisfactory swimming pool facilities. The present equipment is reserved almost exclusively for the use of those Freshmen who do not know how to swim. Hundreds of men in the University would take swimming for their exercise if adequate facilities were available.

Lack of Swimming Facilities