SENDS LETTER TO 30 MEN WHO FAVORED AN ASSOCIATION OF NATIONS

ASKS IF THEY NOW STAND BY SAME PRINCIPLES

The Woodrow Wilson Club of the University has sent a circular letter to each of the 30 Republicans who issued, on October 14, 1920, during the Presidential campaign then in progress, a statement expressing a "desire that the United States shall do her full part in association with the other civilized nations to prevent war" and declaring that having "earnestly considered" how to "contribute most effectively to that end" by their vote in the impending election, they had decided to vote for Senator Harding. The letter first recalled this statement, which also said that they had "reached the conclusion that the true course to bring America into an effective league to preserve peace is by frankly calling upon the other nations to agree to changes in the proposed agreement" (the League of Nations) and that "the Republican party is bound by every consideration of good faith to pursue such a course until the declared object is attained".

The letter then says that "throughout the entire country men and women who were friends of the League of Nations and who would otherwise have voted for Mr. Cox, attached such weight to your statement that they voted accordingly for Mr. Harding". The letter also says that "after the lapse of more than two years they have yet to hear that the Administration has in any way called 'upon the other nations to agree to changes in the proposed agreement of the League'" and that "American citizens who accepted the judgement of men in your high positions and whom your example influenced to change their vote desire assurance that you are not passively acquiescing in the reversal of a policy which you virtually promised the public would be followed". The letter goes on to say that these citizens "feel that they have a right to ask you and the other signers what efforts you are making to secure the adoption of that policy". The letter is signed by Franklin S. Pollak '23, the president of the Club.

Writes to Many Prominent Men

Among the men to whom the letter was sent are President Lowell, Secretary of State Hughes LL.D. '10, Secretary of Commerce Hoover LL.D. '17, former Secretary of State Elihu Root LL.D. '07, President John Grier Hibben LL.D. '17 of Princeton University, President Nicholas Murray Butler LL.D. '09 of Columbia University, Bishop William Lawrence '71 of Massachusetts, former Ambassador to Turkey Oscar S. Straus, Mr. William Allen White, and former Attorney General George W. Wickersham.