A YOUNG TRADITION

"Tradition is a wonderful thing when you have it; but it can't be bought readymade". The Harvard Yard, which already has its share, is now going through the process of accumulating more.

Of late years the older buildings have been set apart for the senior class, with the idea of creating an annual custom; and each year the plan has met with a more and more ready acceptance, until last spring there were so many applications that everyone could not be accomodated in the five designated buildings. The tradition has been built up, and in the process all the arguments have been exhausted--save that of success. The dormitories themselves have been restored, until it would seem that the only remaining objection is the persistent and premature college bell, which lingers tenaciously, the firmest of traditions, in the face of many campaigns to silence it. But even that becomes less offensive by familiarity, and takes on sentiment with its fellow traditions.

From present indications there is no need to fear that the Class of 1924 will ignore the path of its predecessors into the Yard. The difficulty will be, more likely, what it was last year: the problem of crowding all applicants into the five buildings set aside for Seniors. It is late now to suggest that one or both of the remaining Yard dormitories should have been included in this year's Senior allotment. But if enough members of 1924 apply, there is no reason why they should not overflow until they fill either Matthews, or Weld, or both. The latest Yard tradition will not be established until all seven dormitories are sacred to Seniors. Since each class is increasing in size, that time should not be far off.

Meanwhile, it is hardly necessary to remind Juniors that applications later than next Friday will meet with disappointment.