UNIVERSITY RECEIVES $100,000 FROM LEGACY

Payment Made on $200,000 Mills Bequest for Cancer Research -- $28,000 Bequeathed for Four Medical School Scholarships

The University has received a payment of $100,000 from the $200,000 legacy left for cancer research under the will of the late Hiram F. Mills of Quincy.

Mr. Mills, who died in October, 1921, made his bequest in memory of his wife, for the establishment at the University of the Elizabeth Worcester Mills Fund, the income "to be devoted to the investigation of the origin and cure of cancer". The money will be applied to the support of important research work being carried on for this purpose by the Harvard Cancer Commission in the new John Collins Warren laboratory, opened last spring adjoining the Huntington Memorial Hospital. This bequest is expected to make possible a much more thorough and detailed investigation of the constitutional effects of radiation, and especially of the high-power X-ray machine designed by Professor William Duane and installed in the new laboratory for the treatment of cancer cases.

A fund has also been received by the University by the bequest of the late Miss Leslie Walton Walker of Boston, to establish four new scholarships at the Harvard Medical School "for the benefit of four needy and deserving students".