THOUSAND DOLLAR PRIZE AWARDED STUDENT AUTHOR

"The Throw Back" Wins Scholarships Offered University Students for Best Scenario

"The Throw Back" a moving picture scenario written by a student in the University of California, has just been declared the winning manuscript in a competition for a $1000 Scholarship Award, offered six months ago by Carl Laemmle, President of the Universal Pictures Corporation to students of American Colleges for the motion picture scenario of the greatest merit. In announcing the award, Mr. Laemmle declared that "The Throw Back" had been selected from among some thousand scenarios by the committee of award because it was "the most original, the best written, and the most adapted to the requirements of the Universal Studio."

Although "The Throw Back" was considered the most excellent of all the contributions, he stated that the committee had recommended nearly twenty other scenarios to the Universal Studios for purchase, and that almost all of the thousand contributions had shown a quality and a form altogether unusual in a competition of this nature.

Mr. Laemmle said that the results of the competition had made him feel amply rewarded for undertaking a venture which had seemed to many people in the moving picture business as "foolhardy." He declared that his object in offering this prize to college students had been to "interest the coming generation of writers and thinkers, the young men and women who stand on the doorstep of life's opportunity, the class of the rank and file of intelligence who can lift moving pictures, if they are so minded, from the mediocrity with which they are threatened to the heights which they ought to occupy and to which they have every logical reason to aspire."

Among others, honorable mention was awarded to Miss Pamelia Pearl Jones of the University of Washington.