FILIPINO INVITED TO SPEAK AT UNION

Held That Position as Representative of Manila District--Lecture Will Deal With Independence of the Islands

With the friction between Governor-General Wood and the Philippine Asembly at its height, great interest will attach to the announcement that Pedro Guavara of Manila, Philippine Islands, will probably speak at the Union Friday night, explaining the situation in the Islands and emphasizing the need of Philippine independence. Mr. Guavara arrived in this country late in August and is acting in Washington as one of the two official representatives to the United States of the party now in power in the Philippine Congress. He is coming to Boston to confer with Attorney Morfield Storey '66, who vigorously denounced in 1898 the annexation of the Philippine Islands after the Spanish-American War. He was invited by telegram last night to speak at the Union Friday evening, but his acceptance had not yet come at a late hour last night. It is probable, however, that Mr. Guavara will accept the invitation.

Mr. Guavara comes as an exponent of the independence of the Philippines and he is more than a mere propagandist, because of the importance of his position in Philippine affairs. For many years he was a member of the Philippine Assembly, which corresponds to our House of Representatives. In 1916 the Congress of the United States enacted the Organic Act which abolished the Philippine Commission and placed in its stead a Senate This act gave the Philippines full power over domestic affairs. The Governor-general, however, had the power of final veto.

Mr. Guavara's place in the conflict has been a prominent one since in 1916 he became Senator from the 4th district, which was the most important as it includes Manila.