LITERARY FOOLERY IS AGAIN RAMPANT

Splashing Into Society: by Iris Barry. New York: E. P. Dutton and Co. 1923. $2.00.

By A. C. B.

"'Where in deauce shall we start?' said Mr. Withersquash when they got round the corner. 'We might suitably have a taxi to start off with.'

"'Indeed yes,' simpered Lelia as to the manner born, with a good pull at her garters, at which the perfunctory Mr. Withersq ran into the road and he soon found a fresh-looking taxi..."

In this glorious fashion did Mr. Withersq, whose uncle Bert had died and left him a good bit, set out to go into society, with his love Lelia. The dashing lady was "a fair rose of Briton, rather false hair like we see advertised, her somewhat perfect nose would scarce be noticed to have been turned up, owing to sleeping on her stomach". At the same time "she was just a lowborn girl, but none could beat her at playing the piano". And Mr. Withersq is no piker. He crashes right into a Bohemian festival the first night out, visits the exotic "Mauve Loft" the next morning and by evening has been officially appointed Head Poet of England.

The action in "Splashing Into Society" is fast and furious. From their initial triumph in the field of poetry, the talented pair are swept onward and upward until after Lelia whitewashed the head lady tennis players, their hands are joined by the King before all the Society of England.

Anyone who enjoys pure literary foolery, strongly tinged with good-natured satire and keen observation entirely disassociated from reality must enjoy this little book. The Bohemian, neo-artistic circles are ridiculed delightfully; and the love affairs of Mr. Withersq and his Lelia reach the pinnacle of absurdity. One can easily imagine that the author had a marvelous time writing "Splashing Into Society"; and if one has a taste for the unusual and unorthodox, one cannot help being greatly amused.