UNIVERSITY LACROSSE TEAM WILL USE SIGNALS THIS YEAR

Twenty Men Report for Initial Workout--Gustafson Takes Charge

Twenty men reported at the first practice of lacrosse held on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon. Six letter men were in the squad, Captain Weston Thomas 4E.S., T. W. Hoag '25, Albert Norris '25, W. M. Curtis '24, E. P. Tobin '25, and Samson Merriam '25. The practice consisted mainly in handling the stick under the supervision of last year's coach, Paul Gustafson, and L. B. Young '23, who will coach the Freshmen next spring.

This year in the fall practice signals will be used for the first time by a University lacrosse team. The system will be modeled after that in use by several successful Canadian teams, but has been adopted so far by very few teams in this country.

An interesting feature of the growth of the importance of lacrosse in the colleges of the country is the fact that the University of Pennsylvania, Syracuse, Hopkins, Lehigh, Swarthmore, Stevens, and several other colleges have adopted it as a major sport. At both Annapolis and West Point it has been found advisable to play the lacrosse games before the baseball games in order not to materially detract from the attendance at the latter.