WHITBECK SMASHES WAY INTO UNION TOURNEY SEMI-FINALS

Defeats Stralem in Fifth Round Match 6-3, 6-3--Bondi Eliminates Roots

Whitbeck, taking his time between plays and driving the ball hard while in action, yesterday defeated the over-eager Stralem, 6-3, in the fifth round of the Union Tennis tournament and thus won a place in the semi-finals.

At a moment's glance Stralem seemed the superior player of the two. His American twist service, which he had under excellent control yesterday, was far more prepossessing than Whitbeck's overhead smash; the former's service was fast, crossed the net low, was usually good, and bounded high, while Whitbeck's low bound made it easy to handle. Yet, Whitbeck prevailed, for his return was better placed and faster than was Stralem's. The younger player, Whitbeck, continually outwitted the senior in his placing, working Stralem's backband a great deal.

A match of interest, but which showed very little brilliant tennis, was the finishing of the contest between Bondi and Roots, the former winning the third set yesterday 9-7. On Thursday each had gained a set, Bondi 12-10. Roots 6-4. Both players were hampered by the damp court, which caused much slipping. There can be little doubt that if Root's service were of higher calibre, he could have mastered the rather indifferent Bondi.

The Union tennis tournament, both singles and doubles, will continue Monday.