Greek Minister to U. S. Will Address Meeting in Memory of Dr. A. E. Phoutrides '11, Former Instructor at University

The present Greek Minister to the United States, His Excellency Michael Tsamados, will deliver the principal address at a meeting in memory of the late Dr. Aristides Evangelus Phoutrides '11, who was a former Instructor in the Classics at the University, and who died in Maine on August 26. The services will be held at 3.30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon in Chipman Hall, Tremont Temple.

Professor C. H. Moore '89, of the Latin Department, Mr. Nicholas Kaltchas, Dr. Raphael Demos G. '16, Instructor in Philosophy, and the Hon Edward Capps, former Minister of the United States to Greece and professor of Greek at Princeton, will also speak.

While in college, Mr. Phoutrides distinguished himself in his studies, winning several prizes including the Bowdoin prize. After graduation he stayed on in the Graduate School for three years and went abroad for a year of classical studies in Germany, Italy, and Greece on a travelling fellowship. He received a degree of Doctor of Philosophy from the University in 1915 and soon after was appointed Instructor in Classics. During the was he served in the Military Intelligence Division at Washington in charge of Near East affairs.

In 1919 he was appointed professor at the University of Athens, but when the government of Venizelos fell, he resigned. the next year he returned to Cambridge as Instructor in the Classics and member of the Faculty. Subsequently he was appointed Assistant Professor at Yale, a position he held at the time of his death.

Dr. Phoutrides was greatly interested in the modern literary currents in Greece and published two volumes of translation from the modern Greek of Kostes Palamas, entitled "Life Immovable" and "A Hundred Voices." In collaboration with Demetra Vaka he published "Modern Greek Stories." He was also the author of a volume of poems called "Lights at Dawn." A further translation which he made from the works of Palamas, a play entitled "Royal Blossom, has just been published by the Yale University Press.