TEAM SHOWS POWER IN FEEBLE OPENER

Running of Jenkins and McGlone, and Line Plunging of Howe, Cheek, and Pfaffmann Gives Encouragement

Showing great potential power in ground gaining, the University eleven swept the Rhode Island State invaders off their feet in the first quarter of the Crimson's opening game last Saturday in the Stadium, and during that period scored twice, partially as a result of two costly fumbles by quarterback Haslam of the visitors. Before the game had ended three more touchdowns were gained and the University score stood at 35. The Crimson goal was never threatened,-in fact the heavy Harvard forewards quite paralyzed the Rhode islanders offensive and yielded but one first touchdown to the visitors in the entire game.

At the end of the first quarter Coach Fisher began sending in substitutes, who were soon in the majority on the University team, and it is safe to say, judging from the exhibition of the first quarter, that the University score would have become much greater if the first team rush line had remained on the field during the entire game.

Backs Show Flashes of Brilliancy

The brilliant running of Jenkins and McGlone and the line plunging of Howe, Cheek, and Pfaffman stood in sharp contrast to the many fumbles which characterized the playing of both teams. Jenkins escaped around the ends on two occasions; the first time he was pushed off onto the side line five yards from the Rhode Island goal, his net gain being 27 yards; on the second opportunity in the opening of the second half he tore around left end and reached his opponents' goal forty yards away, scarcely being touched by tacklers on the way. McGlone credited himself with a 32 yard gain. Howe was always good for a four or five yard gain, while Cheek on one occasion broke through the line in the third quarter and ran 33 yards before Kirby of the visitors stopped him. Pfaffman, usually running through left or right tackle reached the goal twice in the last half after 18 and five yard runs respectively. On the other hand six fumbles were credited to the University and but four for Rhode Island.

Tweedel Stars for Visitors

Lamont, Tweedel, and McIntosh were the individual stars of the visiting team, Tweedel playing the entire game.

The summary: HARVARD  RHODE ISLAND Gordon, Crosby, Combs, Pantaleoni, Chase, l.e.  r.e., Clarke, Ahroinan, Jenisen Dunker, Hubbard, Theopold, l.t  r.t., N. Smith Daniells, Cooper, Davenport, l.g.  r.g., Gifford, Tower, Shea, Christensen, Callahan Greenough, S. Bradford, Adie, C.  c., Brown, Howard C. Hubbard, C. Bradford, Macomber, r.g.  l.g., Steere, Maliff Eastman, Hobson, Hoag, r.t.  l.t, Perry Hill Evans, E. Brandford, r.e.  l.e., Kirby Lee, McGlone, Akers, Mosely, q.b.  q.b., Haslam, L. Smith, Grattan Jenkins, Pfaffman, Merrill, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Lamont, Makin Cheek, Robb, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Tweedel, Mansel Howe, Samborski, Cordingley, f.b.  f.b., McIntosh, Paterson

Score, Harvard 35, Rhode Island State 0, Touchdowns, Eastman, Howe, Jenkins, Pfaffman 2, Goals, Jenkins 2, Akers 2, Moseley, Referee, H. C. McGrath, Boston University, Umpire F. W. Burleigh, Exeter, Linesman, J. B. Pendleton, Bowdoin, Time 10 minute quarters.