FAST MATCHES PROMISED AS TOURNAMENT NARROWS

CONTEST BETWEEN WHITBECK AND WHEELER IS CHIEF EVENT

The round before the semifinals of the Jackson cup singles offers this afternoon the opportunity for followers of the sport to see some exceptionally fine tennis. The eight survivors are all picked men with considerable experience behind them and tennis experts are unable to estimate with any feeling of confidence what the outcome of any of the matches will be.

The match between J. F. W. Whitbeck '27 and G. M. Wheeler 1G.B. is slated to be the sensational tennis fight of the four singles matches to be played this afternoon at 3.30 o'clock on the Divinity Courts for the Jackson Cup. Whitbeck and Wheeler, both seeded men, the former the ex-star of Loomis School, the latter the Yale flash of a few years ago, will both step on the court with a series of easily gained victories behind them, and with little apparent advantage either way.

Hardly of less interest will be the H. N. Snow 1G. vs. Kan Lee 2G, match at 2 o'clock. Snow has played a steady game in all his matches heretofore. A third good match should be that between two of last year's University team, W. P. Dixon '25 and Alden Briggs '25, two men of nearly equal ability who are scheduled to begin play at 2.30 o'clock.

The fourth match today will be between the winner of the Snow-Lee match and Parke Cummings '25. Recent developments in the tournament make it impossible to prophesy the winner.