NEW COACHES JOIN FALL TRACK SQUAD

Doubt Expressed as to Efficiency of New System--Business Duties Will Hinder Coaching Work in Spring

Fall track work at the University was in full swing yesterday afternoon at Soldiers Field, Coaches Farrell, Teschner, O'Connell, and Hauers all being on hand to instruct the candidates. All four of the coaches stressed the importance of the work to be done in the next few weeks as a preparation for the Spring season. Coach Farrell stated that the squads are still smaller than he would like to see them, with an especially low number of men out for the sprints.

The atmosphere on the Soldiers Field track is still one of indecision, and there is a definite feeling that the present situation is entirely temporary. Fall track work is not an end in itself, being only a form of training and conditioning for the important encounters of the spring. There are two possible solutions for the Athletic Association's present policy: first, that it is merely letting the track situation slide along with the best possible temporary coaching arrangements, or, secondly, that it is building up a system which will have an opportunity to develop during the Fall into a smoothly working machine for use in the Spring season.

Part Time Work Unsatisfactory

One thing in which the coaches agreed, when interviewed yesterday, was that the sytem of part-time graduate coaches is not the ideal one for track work. In a sport like football the season is relatively short and men in business in the vicinity can often arrange to give their afternoons to coaching without seriously interfering with their work The track season is on during fall, winter, and spring, and it is practically impossible for business men to participate regularly in coaching work during the year. In such a system, also, a large amount of shifting necessarily takes place in the personnel of the staff and this is likely to interfere seriously with coaching methods.

Coach O'Connell, who is in business in Boston, looked over the distance men yesterday. Most of these are engaged in cross-country work and the turn-out was not large. Later, Coach O'Connell accompanied Coach Farrell out to Belmont where the harriers hold their practice. When asked about his previous coaching experience, O'Connell said, "I have been out here in the spring each year as often as possible to help with the distance men. My longest experience, however, was in 1920, when I was captain, manager, and coach a large part of the spring during the sickness of Coach Donovan."

Teschner in Charge of Sprinters

Coach Teschner, who is also in business in Boston, was asked about his plans for work with the sprinters. "Today not many men have reported," he said, "and so I have not had a good chance to size up the candidates. The program during the next three or four weeks will be solely one of rudimentary instruction, as I shall attempt only to give the men a line on starts and proper running positions, for use in spring work." In 1919, Coach Teschner took part in the Inter-Allied games in Paris. In the two dashes he took second, being headed by Paddock in both races. He also ran anchor on the two victorious United States relay teams. He holds the College record in the 100 yard dash jointly with W. A. Shick '05, the time being 9 4-5 seconds.

Coach Hauers was also on the track yesterday working with the hurdlers. He confined his efforts to the fundamentals of hurdling, stressing the importance of getting over the hurdle, low and with the weight forward. Hauers is in the Business School and so will be near at hand if he is needed again in the spring to assist in the coaching.