DEAN BROWN TALKS TO FRESHMEN

Discusses Working Philosophy of Life at Monday Meeting

"A working philosophy of life what men live by-is what I shall try to give you tonight," said Dean Charles R. Brown of the Yale Divinity School at the Freshman Monday night meting in Smith Halls Common Room last night.

In describing that Philosophy, Dean Brown stated that morality and religious faith were the background on which every man should orient his life.

Dean Brown emphasized particularly the attitude which men with such a background should take towards the civic and industrial life of the country.

"There is nothing magic about the institutions of a democracy to make them take care of themselves", he said, "men of strong character must take an active part in civic life to make democracy a success. Yet this is seldom the case. Every where you will find people who obey the law and sing the "Star Spangled Banner, Justly, and call themselves good citizens. But suggest to them that they should vote or hold public office, and they would consider it preposterous. Such men are political sackers, they are a maniac to democracy.

"And in the industries of the country, it is the business of the college man, who is trained to think, to see that modern conditions of employment are such that self respecting human beings may engage in industry without physical, moral, and mental destruction. The conduct of industry as well as the conduct of government must be in harmony with recognized principles of religion and morality".