G.O.P. ASCENDENCY WILL END NEXT FALL

Outlines Platform on Which He Will Be a Candidate for Democratic Presidential Nomination

"A growing feeling of dissatisfaction with the present Republican administration is causing a wave of Democratic sentiment to sweep the country."

Senator Oscar W. Underwood of Alabama intends to ride that wave to the presidency.

So, at least, he intimated yesterday afternoon in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter.

Thinks Issues of 1924 Will Be General

Senator Underwood, who came to Boston on Sunday to participate in the Armistice Day exercises held on the Boston Common, declared that the next presidential election would not be fought out on any great decisive issues but on the general conditions of the country. And those indications he felt, would prompt the election of a Democratic president.

"The Republican party has failed badly in many features of its administration. Its lack of a clean cut, decisive foreign policy has made America's foreign relations infinitely involved and uncertain. Its high protective tariff has destroyed the prosperity of large regions of the country. Its enforcement of law has been lax and its legislation ineffective."

Prophesies Anti-Republican Reaction

Senator Underwood declared that at, the presidential election of 1924, the people of the country as a whole would clearly indicate their reaction against a Republican administration headed largely by politicians from one locality,--New England. And although Mr. Underwood would not say that Mr. Coolidge's presidential chances were any poorer because he was a Republican and from Massachusetts, he did not hesitate to infer that his own chances were considerably improved because he was a Democrat and from Alabama.

No Sensational Slogans

"I am not going to base my campaign on man made issues, not will I strive to create sensational slogans. I believe that the man who is most capable of giving the country an orderly administration, will be elected president next November."

Although he declared himself the exponent of no startling issues, Senator Underwood showed clearly in his remarks that he had certain very decided opinions on various problems now vexing the country.

Against the Ku Klux Klan he appeared particularly emphatic. And although he only appeared mildly amused on learning that Harvard was supposed to contain a chapter of the Klux, he expressed himself against the Klan as a whole in no uncertain terms.

"Against the Klan my stand is clear and unequivocal. I could not be in favor of the Klan and support the Constitution at, the same time. The two are diametrically opposed.

"The Constitution stands for liberty. The bill of rights is the first written declaration of liberty. It prescribes freedom of though, freedom of religion freedom of the press, for equal rights among all.

"The Klan, on the other hand advocates racial prejudice and religious discrimation. I am against any secret on ganisations in politics and I am opposed such discrimination in, as I have said, contrary to the Constitution to be torn down to one place it will not be long before the entire fabric will crumble away."