BULLDOG AND UNDER-DOG

It is one of the features of the modern game of football that victory, apparently assured after infinite effort, may be converted into utter defeat by a single play. To say that this was the case last Saturday is no discredit to Brown, for a football game is decided by the score and not by the efforts of critics who analyze afterward. Nothing can dim the lustre of a victory gained in a stern chase and gained for the second year in succession.

But Harvard in looking forward to its objective next Saturday has no reason to be utterly discouraged--less reason, as far as the respective Brown games are concerned, than last year. On Saturday Harvard showed, as it has shown all season, great potential power; it failed because it did not use this power at crucial moments to best advantage.

Five days from today will be waged the annual battle between the Bulldog and the under-dog. Yale comes to Cambridge heralded as one of the greatest teams of the decade, determined to wipe out four successive defeats. But the situation is not new. Great teams have come to the Stadium or the Bowl before and have bowed in defeat before the under-dog.

Harvard has had a potentially powerful team all year, a team which has showed occasional flashes of brilliancy and which demonstrated its fighting qualities at Princeton. Potentially, to repeat, it is one of the best Harvard teams of years. On Saturday it will have a chance to prove that it can translate latent power into reality.